Monday, April 4, 2011

Heaven's Playground

You know it's going to be a hard day when your thoughts revolve around how to tell your two-year-old his doggie isn't coming home.

It's wasn't an easy thing for me to do, to lose my dog that I love so much, but then to also try to explain why my dog that was playing in our backyard yesterday morning, didn't get to come home that night. It's hard to explain, it's hard to wrap my head around it, but I had to do it.

You might remember about seven months ago Pierre got sick because he'd somehow gotten rat poisoning. We thought we were going to lose him then but he pulled through with the help of our vet. Yesterday he was not so lucky.

All week long I'd been noticing blood on our bed. It had come from Pierre's mouth and I though maybe he'd chewed up one of the kids' toys and cut his gums. However that was not the case.

Saturday night we had Mike's parent's over for dinner and my Mom and Bob and Aunt Barb came later for dessert. While Pierre wasn't himself, he was still social and didn't seem all that amiss. He had needed a haircut pretty bad. So Sunday morning we all went outside to play and I brought the clippers outside and began giving Pierre a haircut. Immediately I knew something was wrong. He didn't want to stand up and he kept trying to lay down. As soon as I started cutting I could see his skin and realized there was blood bruises at the surface. His mouth had more blood coming out than I realized so after I finished his haircut I also gave him a bath and washed him up.

Normally after a bath Pierre goes berserk. He would run all over drying himself on the rug. His craziness from the bath would last a good half hour or more. But yesterday after his bath he went over to the couch and tried to lay down. He lost his balance and fell over.

Shortly after Angelo and I drove him to the emergency vet. They could see he was sick and took him in right away. They thought it was rat poisoning again and said they'd call after they received the blood work.

In my heart I knew it wasn't rat poisoning again. I knew it was something different, something worse. I told Mike if it was the poison again we'd fight it. But it wasn't. The results came in that he had lost alot of blood. He must have been swallowing it for awhile. He needed a blood transfusion and even then they didn't know if he'd make it. I called our regular vet and he also said it wasn't good. He told me if it was his dog, he'd let it go. So I knew that was the right decision. But it didn't make it any easier.

Mike and I went to pick up Pierre from the emergency vet clinic and drove him to the clinic where our vet was waiting for us. We said our goodbyes and then I held him while he peacefully went to Heaven.

When we got home Angelo yelled, "Mommy's home, and so is Schnoodie Boy." My heart just broke, I didn't have his Schnoodie Boy with me and I never would again. I was so upset I put him down for his nap without discussing it with him. When he woke up I told him the news. I told him how Schnoodie had been very sick and he wasn't going to be able to come home and he went to live with God in Heaven. That's when my son said, "Yeah, he's going to play on Heaven's Playground." I cried and cried.

So rest in peace our dear friend. Play your heart out on Heaven's Playground. I hope you're running with all the other dogs, barking your fool head off. Chasing birds and rabbits and running through flowers. I hope little kids are petting and loving on you and you're sleeping next to them at night. I hope you dream of having the fun times with us and that everyonce in awhile an Angel will take you for a walk to visit our house so you can see your old spots and see how much we loved you. Our family will miss you forever.

PIERRE GIBILISCO
Our Beloved Schnoodie Boy
May 17, 2004 - April 3, 2011

4 comments:

The Kennedys said...

So sorry to hear about Pierre, Shelli. Prayers are with you!

Rob, Paula, Jeremey & Jaydin said...

Sorry to hear this Shelli...so hard to loose a beloved member of the family. RIP Pierre. Peace and blessings to you all.

Jana said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. Will be praying for all of you.

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

I'm so behind in reading, I'm so sorry I missed this one Shell. So sorry for you loss. :(