Sunday, November 28, 2010

Being Thankful

So, it's been awhile since I've blogged. And that's because I usually blog at night and recently my two-year-old son has decided he doesn't want to go to bed. He's realized he can climb out, open the door and run down the hall anytime he feels like. So, needless to say, it's taking a really long time to get him to bed lately....and we're really worn out! It's kind of the same game at nap time. My free time is fading!

Friday night Mike and I were feeling a little sorry for ourselves. Complaining about the lack of sleep, lack of free time. We were on our way home from a tree lighting ceremony with two screaming kids in the back seat. Gia was screaming and Angelo was trying to compete with her crying. We pulled into Little Ceaser's to pick up a pizza. Mike ran inside to get it and I looked over and saw a family sleeping in their car. Mike saw the dad inside applying for a job. It kind of hit us....why are we complaining? We have a home, jobs and a wonderful family....so we're not sleeping that much right now, it's a small price to pay for all the things in our lives. It was quite appropriate for a little Thanksgiving reminder.

 One thing we are thankful for this year is our dog Pierre, we went through a lot with him and we're happy that he is still part of our family.

 Another thing we're thankful for is our new addition Gia. What a little sweetheart she has been. We were happy to have her celebrate her first thanksgiving with us.


 We're always thankful for family. This year we went to Madrid, IA for Thanksgiving. We were able to meet Harper Flynn, the newest addition to our family. She is about 7 weeks younger than Gia. Here I am with Gia, Great Grandpa Bob, my cousin Erika and little Harper.

 Angelo joins us in a photo with grandpa Bob. He was a wild one, showing his two-year-old style!

 Erika with Harper Raine.

After Thanksgiving we met my dad in Ankeny. He hadn't had a chance to see Gia yet and we were glad to get a chance to see him even if it were for a short time. My dad isn't your typical grandpa, or dad for that matter. But as you get older, you realize that each person shows they care in a different way and the way they can. My dad was pretty excited to see his new grand baby and it brought a little tear to my eye to see him with his grandkids. It's funny how little kids can make everyone smile and make us forget our differences.

And that's what Thanksgiving is truly about. Being happy with what we have and the people around us. Realizing you can't chance anyone, and sometimes you can't change circumstances, but you can be happy to have them in your life.

Happy Thanksgiving Blog Friends!

6 comments:

Jana said...

Love how you summed it all up, so true. Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I agree, your Dad and my brother is just who he is, we can't change him, just love and accept him. Sometimes it's frustrating, but we have to be Thankful for just having his presence. Love, Aunt Sharon

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Oh I so get this post. Right there with you.

I can't believe how much Gia looks like Angelo! (At least she does to me ;)

I'm thankful for YOU.

SusanD said...

Hopping over from Sarah's blog to wich your a very Happy Birthday. Blessings to you and your beautiful family. SusanD

gretchen from lifenut said...

Peeking in to wish you a very happy birthday.

We have babies about the same age, 3 months! Your kiddos are darling.

Melissa said...

Leaving you some happy birthday love! What a great friend you must have in Sarah! :)