Friday, September 17, 2010

Pierre Updates

So my last entry mentioned I was on my way to meet Mike at the Vet to say goodbye to our friend Pierre. It turns out, as of right now we still have our pal!

It's been a wild couple of days but it went something like this...

I met Mike at the vet and Pierre's wonderful doctor explained our options. At the last minute Mike and I had a change of heart and decided to let the vet open Pierre up to see what was causing all the bleeding. I stayed and waited for the doctor to come back out and Mike headed back to work. The news at that time was still not good. He was bleeding and his blood didn't want to clot and they couldn't seem to see what was causing it but all signs led to rat poisoning.

The vet wanted to do a blood transfusion but said we could wait and see how it went. Mike and I had already spent more than planned so we didn't want to go that route. That was about 2:30 p.m. At 7:00 that night the vet (who had been on his day off) called and said he felt so bad about our dog that he'd went home and gotten blood from his dog and gave it to Pierre and it was no charge. So you can imagine how I was blathering on bawling out some sort of thanks to this wonderful man on the phone! He said not to get to excited and that we could still lose him in the night, but in the vets words, he said "if you do things half assed you get half assed results, so I wanted to make sure we could try and save your dog."

When I went to bed I prayed and prayed. I prayed that if Pierre was unhappy here for any reason to take him and let him out of his misery. But I asked that if he was happy with our family that he could stay with us for awhile longer because we love him so.

The next day Pierre the vet called at 7:00 a.m. Mike answered the phone fearing the worst.  However to everyones astonishment Pierre was getting better. With a clotting medicine and Vitamin K to fight the potential rat poisoning he stopped bleeding and started to clot. He still has a ways to go. But he is off his puppy IV and he barked and jumped around when I went to visit this morning.

We had plans to go out of town this weekend for my mom's birthday party and I was so worried about what to do with him since we couldn't be here to take care of him. Again, or wonderful vet stepped in and said he would take Pierre home with him as he didn't want to charge us anymore money.

So no matter what happens now, I feel we gave Pierre every chance available and he has had a lot of prayers and wonderful people step in to help him and us out financially. Ironically enough, a few weeks ago I made fun of people who spend insane amounts of money on their pets...so far it's not an insane amount but without the help of our vet it would be.

Thank you so much for your kind words on my previous blog, but now I ask for you to continue to pray for our little pal who is a fighter!

I promise to post cute baby photos in my next blog instead of grim doggy news. As I know life goes on and my sweet kids and husband have gotten me through bawling everytime I see Pierre's dog bed in our room.

I'll keep you posted, for now I'm off to Nebraska City with my family for mom's 60th birthday and the AppleJack Festival and Pierre is in good hands.

1 comment:

Jana said...

Sounds like your Vet just made your Christmas card list! Ah yes, the antidote to Warfarin (rat poisoning) is Vitamin K....we do this to humans all the time in the Hospital.....thinking of you Pierre.