Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Goodbye Friend

In an hour I have to go say goodbye to my best friend of six years...Pierre. He has been sick ever since Gia and I got home from the hospital and spend last night at the vet. In the beginning they thought his body was attacking his platelets and if so some medicine would fix this issue. Unfortunately it appears he's bleeding internally and the issue is unknown. It would take a blood transfusion and surgery to see what is happening and even then it might be unfixable. Another option may be some oral medication but it's expensive as well and they don't think it will work and would result in several more nights at the vet.

He"s always been such a sensitive little dog. I remember him having to be on puppy Prozac when he was little because he didn't want us to leave the house. Now it seems he may have worked himself up over my being gone at the hospital or even the new baby. Or it could just be a system failure and the timing was coincidental. Either way, he was my best friend, and I'm crying as I type about this sweet dog whose gotten me through so much.

As I look around the house I see everything that reminds me of him. A bone, his bed, a toy, I can even smell pee on the rug in this room from him. And as much as I hated his habit of peeing on my rugs, I'm bawling over smelling it now. Probably a mixture of love for the dog and post partum emotions. Either way...I'm very sad.

Mom is leaving from work to stay with Gia and I'm meeting Mike and 1:00 to go say goodbye to our friend. The cutest little dog that Mike stole out of a little girls arms so he could buy him for me. Our first family member. How will I ever get over having your little head resting on my foot each night in bed.

You will be so missed my friend. Words can't express what you've meant to me. Tonight when Angelo comes home and calls for you to play with him saying "Schnoodie Boy come outside" my heart will again break. I love you sweet little dog. You'll never be forgotten.

7 comments:

The Kennedy's said...

So sorry Shelli! I'll say a little prayer for ya.

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Oh Shell, I'm crying too! I'm so sorry...its so hard to say goodbye, even though you know it's the right thing to do. Pierre had the best family in you guys, what a great life he had. What more can a dog ask for then people who love him even when he pees on rugs!?! Praying for you my friend, and sob all you need to. And eat some chocolate :)

LesleyAnn said...

I am so sorry to hear about Pierre. I know how much you loved him even though he could be such a character!!
To add a little ray of sunshine in your dreary day...found some great cute owl fabric this weekend that I am going to make some goodies out of for a special someone...:) Better get a sew'in so it will be on your way soon!!

Lindsay said...

UGH! Lifting you up in prayer ... and be on the lookout for a little something for Gia next week ...

Sending love and encouragement your way ~

Rob, Paula, Jeremey & Jaydin said...

Shelli...I am soo sorry to hear about Pierre. I know all too well that feeling you have. I still haven't been able to clean all the toys, food, etc out of the porch and cupboard. There are times when we just feel sad and miss our Digger. I will say a little prayer for you. Even though I know you are doing the best thing for him, so he doesn't suffer any longer, it is still soo hard. Peace and blessing to you all.

Jana said...

Shelli,
I'm so sorry to hear about Pierre. I was tearing up just reading your blog. I know what it's like to have a bond with a pup. They love you indefinitely, even when we've been annoyed at them. May you remember all the great memories, for they will stay in your heart. I will pray for you and your family, for it will be hard to transition.

melanie said...

Aw, Shelly I am am so sorry!!!! Pierre was so sweet, we feel so bad :( Henri passed away too a few weeks ago. Complete bummer. Hugs to you all.