Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I Want the Frosting!

So I've been branching out, reading some new blogs lately. One that is particularly interesting is
called "Enjoying the Small Things". Check it out if you need a good cry!

I read a bunch of entries the other day from several blogs, blogs of people that have real issues, real problems, real dilemmas. And let's be honest, I don't really have big issues, in fact I don't have any at all. The fact that my biggest dilemma in the last few months has been which daycare to send Angelo too sums up the size of my problems into a tiny little blurr.

So I read and I read and I read, and I started to feel like a huge loser and a little jealous. Obviously not of their problems but I was/am jealous of how they portray their lives. How each day they find time to write beautiful blogs and take wonderful photos and remain positive.

I see them eating beautifully decorated cupcakes (not purchased in a store) making gorgeous flower arrangements, having stylish hairstyles and clothes. Reading exciting books and doing fun things with their children during the day.

My blog, is well just that, my blog. It's not glorious but it's my way to share what's going on with family members and friends, get advice, and sometimes to just vent my frustrations.

I try to be real here. And well friends, I don't have time to make fancy cupcakes. I'm lucky to frost the ones that I made from a Pillsbury Box. My favorite magazine is Sandra Lee Semi Homemade. My favorite gift at Christmas was the I-Robot vacuum that cleans while I'm not home. And at night, when I should be getting ready for the next day, folding laundry or picking up our house - well you'll find most nights I'm plopped in front of the TV eating dinner on the couch with my husband, instead of sitting at our table with flowers, place settings and candles.

And I wish, I really wish, that at the end of each day I had enough energy to pull off all of these things, the things that look like they're the life of someone in Better Homes and Gardens or Pottery Barn. But I'm just too pooped! My life is mostly chaos.

I do get enjoyment out of the small things, playing with Elmo, doing the Hokey Pokey, reading Goodnight Moon, eating unfrosted cupcakes. But sometimes, I get jealous and I want the frosting too!

So, to all of you with the beautiful cupcakes, and you know who you are, how do you do it? Please tell. You must not sleep?

5 comments:

LesleyAnn said...

I feel the same way....how do they get it all done, because I sure am not this wonder woman??? They also must have a house cleaner!!!

Anonymous said...

Michelle, one of the things you need to do is just be yourself, take one hour at a time and enjoy what you can. When I was running with 5 kids at home, there were times I thought I met myself on the road. But those days are over now, and life is much slower and relaxes, but I would never trade back then for anything. Just do what you can do and don't worry about Mrs Clean House or Do it yourself people, love you family and yourself and love your God.
Everything else will take care of it's self. Love you blog, don't change it at all. Take care and I have you in my thought and prayers. Love, Aunt Sharon

melanie said...

keep a can of whipped yummy frosting in the fridge and pull it out.. rhey are like a buck; stock the cubboard.
you can paint a reality on blog, but that doesn't mean that at the end of the day we all dont have a hurts, dissapointments, and snot nose moments- & joys that we cling to.
i love your blog, it is wonderful & so are you missy.

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

I think blogs like that are surreal. It's marketing...like airbrushing in magazines.

Excuse me while I go get the frozen pizza (that's for supper) out of the oven ;)

Love you. Love your blog.

Lindsay said...

I just have to tell you that although we've never met ... we are friends... and I find it way easier to be friends with those I am similar to ... don't you?!

So ... who needs fancy cupcakes and perfect hair ... when we can be real, joyful, supportive and appreciative of the reason we're friends in the first place.

We're real. And we're meant to be. Real is what most people want to be, but can't be. We're the lucky ones.

I love the REAL you!

Love you friend ~