Thursday, August 20, 2009

A special day for a special boy

Today Mike and I went into wake up Angelo. He was already awake, standing in his crib smiling at us. It was as if he knew that today is his special day, his birthday.

Neither of us could hold back our tears of happiness as we pulled him out and got him ready for the day. We were talking about what was happening a year ago as I made sure to fasten his "Happy Birthday" bib on for daycare.

A year ago today I was already four days past my due date with Angelo. I had been having no contractions, just the sheer misery of being huge. I took the day off work because I had an 11:30 appointment for a stress test.

I waddled my way in and got all hooked up to the monitors. All was fine, baby Angelo was moving around and there were even a few slight contractions noticed on the monitor, although I couldn't feel them. After the stress test I went in to meet with the Doctor to discuss getting induced and get checked one last time. He had a strange look on his face and sent me to get an ultrasound. Sure enough, the ultrasound showed that Angelo was frank breach, meaning his butt what were his head should be.

Since I was past due the Doctor told me he wouldn't induce me and would only perform a cesarean. He was giving me the times available for surgery when Mike came flying around the office door. He was concerned since I had been there longer than planned. The Doctor explained I could either have the surgery at 5:00 on Aug. 20th or wait till the 22nd.

I remember not even looking at Mike and saying, "Today! I want it done today!" Mike and I left his office and went to Qudoba so Mike could eat lunch. We called our parents and let them know what was going on. Then we sat and starred at each other, in disbelief that our son would be born in a few hours.

We went home, packed our things and headed to the hospital. I went into the prep room at 4:00 and rolled into surgery at 5:00. Within thirty minutes they were holding the 9.5 pound baby boy over my head! It was a whirlwind!

Little did I know the whirlwind would continue for quite sometime! We had at least 20 or more people at the hospital. Our wonderful friends and family came with flowers, toys and cards and to see little Angelo.

The commotion has never really ended, I think I just got use to it. He's just one of those special little boys that everyone loves. He's the first grandchild on each of our sides, and since Mike and I are both only children he really gets spoiled.

But there is more to it than that. For instance, I have already gotten four emails about his birthday from friends I didn't think would remember. After ringing up birthday doughnuts for daycare at the store this morning, the cashier looked at Angelo smiled and said, "If it's his birthday you don't need to pay." There are presents at our house that have already been mailed to him from friends of friends! When I dropped him off this morning the kids at daycare where all around him in a circle saying "Oh, Angelo it's your birthday, Happy Birthday Angelo!"

He's just a special little guy, special to us and special to the world.

Happy Birthday to my special guy! I love you so much!

6 comments:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Happy Birthday sweet Angelo!

LesleyAnn said...

Happy Birthday Angelo!!

Jana said...

Happy Birthday Angelo!

Rob, Paula, Jeremey & Jaydin said...

Happy 1st Birthday Big Guy!! I can't believe it has been a year already. Here's to many more fun-filled years!

Lindsay said...

What a GREAT post! Print it out and put it in his baby book {if you haven't already} ... he'll treasure it in years to come!!

Happy Happy Birthday Sweet Angelo!!

Enjoy your next trip around the bright and beautiful sun!!

mel said...

We hope your day was extra special little man!!!! We love you bunches!!!!