Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Conquering my greatest fear...

Growing up I was not what you would call a great student. I did ok. Got by. I always did well in the writing and reading department and not so hot in the science and math areas.

In eigth grade, math got harder, a lot harder. It was at the point where you just couldn't fake it anymore, you had to know what you were doing. I also had a teacher who didn't like slackers. He didn't want to put in extra time - just wanted you to get it.(He also became my highschool basketball coach and we managed to always tango again. Another story for another time.)

After doing progressivly worse throughout the year, my mom finally made an appointment for the three of us to meet and discuss what needed to be done for improvements.

I don't remember the exact words he used, but I do remember the message that I read into the conversation at thirteen-years-old. It was something like, "She can't do math, she'll never be able to do math, she's doomed!" (Note to all teachers out there reading this - kids will always remember the negative of whatever you're saying and take it with them...sometimes for the rest of their lives! No pressure or anything!)

So somehow I passed the eigth grade math class and moved to high school math and the message about how much I sucked at math was still with me. So instead of taking the right math classes to prepare me for college I took the least amount possible. And, at the end of high school I hadn't taken enough math to get myself into a four year college - and, I didn't care!

I moved on to a community college in Des Moines, IA where I roomed with my high school bud and fellow blogger, Sarah from Life in the Parsonage. All was well with my so called college career and I only needed one math class to get my AAS in Graphic Design. It was business math and I made it through with another fellow blogger, Melanie from Pumpkin & Peanut and Paintdrops.

Once I graduated I was happy and didn't really think I would ever go back to college again. However once I realized the places I was working would pay for my classes, I decided I should go back.

I have been working on my undergrad since 2001. I've also had five jobs since 2001. All five of those jobs paid for me to take classes - so I have no student loans! I'm happy to say I just finished my last class last night.

Out of all 50 plus classes I have taken, what do you think was the last on my list? If you guessed College Algebra, you're correct!

I was so nervous to take the class. Thought I would never pass, that I would be that person that would never graduate but only have one class left - you know the ones! But I did it! I conquered MATH! Freaking algebra at that! What a great feeling!

So Friday I'm taking the day off from work to graduate with my Bachelors of Science in Communications! Hooray!

And the good news is, after you conquer a fear you can wipe it off the slate. Realistically, I'll never ever have to do a quadriatic equation again!

7 comments:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

I wish I could be there to cheer you on like the graduation from DMACC!

So proud of you!!! I had the same math teacher...same problem...same meeting with him and my mom...good times :)

Love you!

ShelliGib said...

I knew I wasn't the only one!!

mel said...

Congratulations to you!!!!

Seriously it is awesome.. It's a huge accomplishment!!! someday you'll have to cheer me on when i go back.. for what- who knows!! :)

Some little man has a birthday coming...

Rob, Paula, Jeremey & Jaydin said...

Congrats Michelle! I admire your drive to accomplish. Math has never been my strength either...I find now that I am older it is more clear to me. Wierd I know but I think I've gotten past the panic of it and just apply it when I need it.

The Kennedy's said...

Congratulations! That is awesome!

Lindsay said...

Cheering for you and ready to send you some jam!!

Just get me your address and you'll be getting some {goodness} soon :)

lindsay.murdockcattle {at} gmail {dot} com

Blessings blogger friend :)

Jana said...

Michelle, Congratulations on your accomplishment.....I remember many a day crying in my high school math classes so dang mad I couldn't get it! When I took college math with a professor with a very heavy accent, I actually GOT it and passed! Enjoy your glory!