Friday, April 10, 2009

Small Town

Tonight we head back to small town, Iowa where I'm from. This is the first time we've gone back that we aren't staying with a relative, this time we're staying in a hotel.

It seems a little strange that this is the place I grew up, the place I'm from and we're staying at a hotel. But it's just easier. Easier for us with a baby and easier for the people we love to come to one place to see us.

But this time I will miss venturing out and around my home town to see what has changed...even though, it's usually not much!

Although I'm not sure if I could ever go back for good, I miss it. There, I said it, I miss living a small town life...where everyone knows who you are and who your family is. I use to hate that part, and now I miss it!

I miss going to the church I grew up in and knowing everyone sitting in the pews.

I miss driving down main street and waving at my cousin who happens to be driving by.

I miss being able to call up family members and have them over for dinner or meet them for lunch.

I miss my dad and tooling down the river with him on his boat, watching the dogs ears flap in the wind.

I miss the smell of spring in Northeast Iowa.

I miss the little shops, the little grocery store, the little hangouts.

Yes, sometimes I'm really homesick for my small town. It was a good life, I had good friends and I knew my place in the world.

Last week one of my old friends called very late, lots of old friends surrounding him... I could hear their voices talking, reminicing ....I could tell I was missed, and I missed all of them!

Can't wait to be home - even if it's just for a weekend!

This song is running through my head as I finish my work and pack our bags...

Educated in a small town
Taught the fear of Jesus in a small town
Used to daydream in that small town
Another boring romantic thats me

No I cannot forget where it is that I come from
I cannot forget the people who love me
Yeah, I can be myself here in this small town
And people let me be just what I want to be

Well I was born in a small town
And I can breathe in a small town
Gonna die in this small town
And thats probly where theyll bury me

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I love small town life ... and even though I'm in a bit of bigger town now, I know it's where my heart is :)

Thanks for this reminder.

I hope your trip home was one of the best ... hotel and all :)

Jill and Jeffrey said...

so cute. I had a grad class of 37..this definitely brought back old memories of wanting to see whats new in a town that doesnt change much :) ah the lifr of the slow & predictable, whats not to miss?