Thursday, January 8, 2009

Helpful Habits

Earlier this month I listed out my ten resolutions for the year. Today in weight watchers we received a book showing tips to help you work towards your goals. They were geared towards weight loss but I believe they help in all aspects of life. Here they are...

WINNING OUTCOMES - This tool helps you decide: What do I want? Then, it helps you make those goals as powerful as they can be.

MY WINNING OUTCOME #1: Loose a pound a week till I reach my goal weight be eating healthy and working out at least four -five times a week for 45 minutes each.

MY WINNING OUTCOME #2: Learn basic html to gain ecceleration in my career by attending a two day class in February.

MY WINNING OUTCOME #3: Update my 1960's style home including the office, fireplace, stairway and exterior.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EMPOWERING BELIEFS - You can do it and you are worth it. Turn to this tool when you need a dose of self belief.

HOW TO DO IT RULE #1: Think back to a past success in any area of your life. What strengths did you use and how can you use them again?

HOW TO DO IT RULE #2: Think about what a loved one would say about why you deserve to achieve your Winning Outcome. Say similar things to yourself.

Believe it or not, something helping me stay on track with my running workouts is high school sports. I think back to past workouts and remember myself finishing and think, "I know I can do this, I've done it before."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STORYBOARDING - Break your big goals down into smaller, more manageable pieces.

HOW: Make a list of the first thing that needs to happen in order for you to achieve your winning outcome. Find a way to represent the tasks. Make a series of drawings or create a list. Be specific, this is your storyboard.

I love lists...they help me through every part of my life...I may start to incorporate the little drawings though!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MENTAL REHEARSING - When you're looking forward to an occasion that you expect will be a challenge, practive succeeding in your head.

Great idea!! Lots of places I can use this!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POSITIVE SELF-TALKING - You are what you repeat. So be sure you're repeating things - in your head and aloud - that are positive and helpful. Words are powerful, and the words you repeat to yourself - out loud or in your head - can make a big difference.

Ah, need major help here! I'm always negative...need to reinforce this behavior.

Hope these helpful habits help you all in the New Year!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

good stuff Michelle ... thanks for sharing :)

Paul said...

Thank you, this is great advice....I'll use this to do some soul searching and help with my exercise program...as well as life.
Jana