Wednesday, October 29, 2008

till the season...

for flu shots! Three weenies from my office wouldn't get their flu shots today claiming they would get sick from the shot. Wake up people! You'll get sick without the flu shot. Here are some tips I pulled for them, I thought I'd share them with everyone since there seems to be a bit of controversy around the flu shot.

Flu risks are nothing to shrug away. Influenza causes 200,000 people in the U.S. to be hospitalized every year. Prevention is key.

Though experts suggest getting the flu vaccine by the Thanksgiving holidays -- holidays equal hugs, kisses, and close contact, after all -- getting vaccinated makes sense any time during flu season, which may last from October to May.


Allergic to eggs or chicken protein? Then flu vaccines -- which are cultivated inside chicken eggs - may not be safe for you. Talk to your doctor to be sure.

The flu kills 36,000 people in the U.S. every year. Flu vaccines help make prevention possible. Get vaccinated.

Think the flu shot can give you the flu? It can't. The shot is made with a killed form of the flu virus -- which can't give you
influenza. The nasal flu vaccine contains weakened viruses, which sometimes can cause flu in people with weak immune systems.

Concern that there's a link between
autism and the vaccine preservative Thimerosol has prevented some parents from getting their kids vaccinated. Worry no more. Thimerosal-free flu vaccines are now the standard for children in the U.S. -- and available to adults for the asking.

Stuck on the fact that you need to get vaccinated every year? There's a good reason. Flu viruses change, so flu vaccines must change, too. Each year's vaccine is unique, cultivated from the flu strains health officials believe will be most menacing that year.

So, I just had my flu shot for the third year in a row. I'll keep the blog world updated on my condition. I already have a cold, but it doesn't compare to the flu. I wish they could create a cold shot. I get several each year.

3 comments:

melanie said...

Yellow fever: now that's a real shot.
hehe.

JanaBanana said...

couldn't have said it any better! Thanks for your health prevention plug!
Nurse Jana

Lexie McCrillis said...

I agree with you Shel! People here were saying the same thing, so I asked the nurse, and she said, "not true. Not at all!" That's all I needed to hear to get my shot.