Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Some of Gods Greatest Gifts are Unanswered Prayers

Tomorrow is my 3rd wedding anniversary with Mike. With everything going on in our lives I haven't had time to get him a gift, not even a card. So this blog is for him, it is something I often think about but have never written down.

I'm sure you've heard the Garth Brooks song about unanswered prayers. I have always loved the lyrics. We've all prayed for something in our lives and then wondered why God didn't answer that prayer. Then someday, maybe years later you realize that he did answer your prayer, just in a completly different way than you had originally planned.

Many of you know I grew up with an alcoholic father. He didn't drink on the weekdays, usually only on the weekends when he didn't have to go to work the next day. He'd usually go straight to the bar after work on Fridays.

My mom and I would usually do our own thing on Friday nights. She would save a certain amount of money out of each paycheck and we'd go to the mall shopping and maybe to a movie. We'd always have so much fun together, all the while make believing that there would be no problems later that night.

Mom and I would go home to bed but later in the night things would always change. My dad would come home, wake my mom up and they would begin to argue. Sometimes just yelling, sometimes more. He would always come to my room and tell me good night, even if it was early the next morning. I remember smelling the beer and cigarettes on his breath and I would roll into a little ball and cry and pray. Each time I prayed for the same thing, for us to be a happy family, for everyone to get along.

Years later my mom left my father. She couldn't take it anymore. Ironically, that is when he actually quit drinking (for awhile.)

For years I never understood why God didn't answer my little prayer. In fact it really didn't make sense to me until the night before my wedding.

That night, three years ago tonight in fact, I prayed to God again about my future marriage, asking the for the same thing as I once did as a child, to have a happy family. It was then as I prayed that I realized God was giving me the opportunity to have what I had prayed about so many years before, my happy family.

Now, going into my third year of marriage, I can say that God has officially answered my prayer. I have a very happy marriage and the family portion, well, that's on it's way. And I know that it will be a happy one and my husband will be the perfect father. Each day I realize more how God answered my prayer and I am so thankful.

I love you Mike Gibilisco, thank you for being the answer to my prayer. Happy Anniversary!

2 comments:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Oh Shell, this is beautiful!!

Happy Anniversary!

melanie said...

i missed this one! it is beautiful. happy belated anniversary to an incredible couple! many blessings to you and your little guy!!