Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Scanning Photos of Vietnam


So last night I finally finished scanning in my dad's photos from Vietnam. They turned out great and I've been uploading them to my flickr account: http://flickr.com/photos/jeanmaxine/?deleted=2415105966
I want to get these into a slideshow and I also wanted to scan them because they're yellowing in the scrapbook.
It's so strange to think that my dad was in Vietnam when he was only 20 years old. In the photo above he has hair and no mustache! You wouldn't reckognize him today. He was an Army Ranger with the M Company - 75th Infantry Brigade. He went to live Recondo training in Vietnam to become a Ranger, the only special forces training that was ever done during war.
In Vietnam, the Rangers were organized as independent companies: C, D, E, F, G, H, I, K, L, M, N, O and P. There was no J Company because the Army considers the phonetic alphabet word for the letter J, "Juliet", to be too effeminate for designating units. Each company was attached to a major American army combat unit. Rangers in Vietnam conducted long range, reconnaissance into denied areas. They collected intelligence, planned and directed air strikes, acted as force-multipliers in conventional operations, assessed bombing damage in enemy-controlled areas, executed hunter-killer missions at night and in daylight, set ambushes, and specially-trained and specially-equipped Ranger snipers killed individual enemy soldiers and officers.

Additionally, Rangers attempted recovering friendly prisoners of war, captured enemy soldiers for interrogation, tapped North Vietnam Army and Viet Cong wired communications lines in their established base areas along the Ho Chi Minh trail, and mined enemy trails and motor vehicle transport routes.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

You're a ranger expert!! :) Your dad without the white mustache (sp?) is just not your dad :)

Michelle Gibilisco said...

Yes, he has had that mustache ever since Vietnam...I tried pretty hard to get him to shave it for my wedding, but no luck! He did at least trim it!

naomi said...

That is so crazy, I knew he was in vietnam, but to really visualize all he did is amazing. ((and scary!)) Fun photos!

gal said...

I guess I didn't know all that either Shelli - very interesting and glad you found all those things out. gal